Daily Magick

living the magickal life

Spell for the Protection of Trees

Lately the trees in my neighborhood have been suffering from a very nasty disease. It comes every year, as soon as the weather starts improving. Is it a fungus, you ask? Dutch Elm perhaps? Nope. This unfortunate blight is known as assholus lumberjackus. When the illness sets in, you begin to see men sharpening their chainsaws, revving them up, and cutting down oaks that are older than their grandparents. While in other places people pay big bucks to have trees put in, here they pay big bucks to cut everything down. This year's epidemic is worse than ever. Every single one of my neighbors are infected.

I've said before, a little manipulative magick doesn't frighten me. I would consider this "gray" magick, in that what I am protecting doesn't belong to me. Indeed, the rightful owners of what I am trying to protect would object most vehemently to this spell. I honestly don't give a rat's ass. If they can pray for my soul, I can cast spells on their trees. It's not like I'm hexing their chainsaws to slip and perform impromptu amputations. Although, if one more of those morons wakes me up with that godawful sound, I might just change my mind!

So here's the spell. On my pentacle, I'm placing a small drawstring bag containing soil from the site and an acorn from one of the trees I'm trying to protect. Surrounding the pentacle are eight white candles dressed with protection oil. (I don't remember which recipe I used for this oil, but any of the various versions would be fine.) And surrounding the whole thing are small stones collected from the endangered site. I will light the candles and visualize the whole area bathed in protective white light. Here's the chant I came up with:
Power, rise up from the ground
White light, come from all around
Protect these trees, keep safe these lands
No more death here at men's hands.
When the candles burn down, I'll return the stones to the site. I will probably save one to keep in the bag with the soil and the acorn as a further symbol of protection.

Protip: When collecting soil and acorns, seal them in a plastic bag and freeze overnight to kill any critters. Acorns are especially bad - most of them will have insect larvae inside them that will hatch, escape, and inhabit your home.

By the way - and trust me, I'm totally ashamed of this fact - I just realized that today, Earth Day, is the perfect day to cast a spell like this. I love it when a plan comes together.

0 comments:

Post a Comment